Thursday, July 29, 2010

Lemon Cake

Ha! Finally, a new recipe to share. :)

This is not low calorie nor is it low carb. It is high flavor and oh-so-yummy. It's so good that I had one piece (not this one, mine was smaller) and sent the rest to work with Chuck. I wouldn't want that stuff to tempt me all day. But life's too short not to enjoy good food. Just in smaller quantities.

The cake only takes a few minutes to whip up and makes the house smell so warm and homey.

No, not that kind of homey.
Anyway, enjoy the cake.
Special Lemon Cake

1 package yellow cake mix
4 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. lemon extract
3/4 cup veggie oil
1 package lone Jell-O, dissolved in 1 cup hot water

Icing:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbs. lemon juice

Mix cake ingredients well. Bake in greased and floured 9x13 pan in 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes. When done, prick with a fork.

Mix icing ingredients and put on top of warm cake. Some of it will sink into the pricked holes.


I went strictly by the recipe this time but next time I'm going to try to lower the calories by using yogurt or applesauce in place of the oil and egg substitute in place of the whole eggs. Maybe I'll use one of the reduced sugar cake mixes as well.

I didn't exercise again. I'm giving myself this week off to make sure the UTI has fully healed. I do not want a relapse!

3 comments:

  1. Have you ever made a diet soda cake? One of my favorites is lemon cake mix + diet sprite. All you do is take the cake mix and mix it with 1 egg white and a can of diet soda. Nothing else. The combinations are endless. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lemon and this cake sounds great...plus the frosting sounds really light and lemon-y!

    Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lemon cake is always my fave.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)